This site, NormaJHill.com, focuses on my editing, writing, and publishing activities. You can find out about my other Pen And Paper Mama Services at my site, penandpapermama.com, which also provides links to my other blogs and websites.
My writing and Editing Activities:
As my “Pen and Paper Mama” moniker suggests, I love writing and editing, and besides my websites and blogs, you’ll find me on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other social networks. My writing and editing experiences include:
- freelance reporting for radio
- newspaper columnist
- publisher and/or editor for various newsletters
- writing for magazines
- English teacher and tutor
- editing a wide variety of manuscripts and other writing formats for other writers
- coaching writers, and especially helping them learn to do effective self-editing and thus become better writers
- helping writers determine their personal publishing paths (traditional, self-publishing, or hybrid), and getting them started on that exciting journey
- presenting workshops on writing, editing, and publishing topics
- curriculum writing
- strong involvement in local writers’ groups and conferences
Educational Background and Teaching Experience:
My educational background includes a BEd (Secondary: Social Studies/Geography and Teacher Librarianship) from the University of British Columbia (Vancouver, Canada), and a Diploma in Academic Arts from Okanagan College (Kelowna, Canada). I have taught in those subject areas, and have also taught other subjects including Home Economics, Core French, and English at elementary and secondary levels. I have homeschooled my own children and assisted other homeschoolers at both elementary and secondary grades, as well as tutoring elementary, secondary and post-secondary levels, including special needs and ESL learners. Currently, I am the owner of Pen And Paper Mama Services, which specializes in professional editing, tutoring and writing services.
So what about me personally?
As “Pen and Paper Mama” suggests, I love being a wife, mom of 5, and naanni (grandmother) of 9. I am enamoured also with the adventure of lifelong learning, both formal and informal. I am a Jesus-follower, which is reflected in my approach to life, but I love meeting and interacting with people of all interests and beliefs. A “Jill of all trades,” I have also engaged in such eclectic jobs and hobbies as orcharding, leading children’s groups (Scouts, Girl Guides, etc.), self-employment (secretarial services; planning and catering children’s parties), gardening, skiing, waitressing, reading, language learning, and much more. Adventure!
I’d love to hear from you, in the comments of my various blogs and website, or feel free to contact me via email.