Norma J Hill : Pen and Paper Mama Services : My Writing Projects
My Websites and Blogs
- http://penandpapermama.com (Norma J Hill / Pen and Paper Mama Services hub site: focus on tutoring, homeschooling, and education tips for parents. Links to other sites.
- https://normajhill.com/ (focus on my writing, editing, and publishing activities).
- https://www.quora.com/profile/Norma-J-Hill (Awarded “A Top Quora Writer 2018”)
- http://haidagwaiibuildingbridges.com/ (Haida Gwai Building Bridges: stories, articles, poetry, photos related to First Nations/Haida issues).
- http://pentictonpedestrian.wordpress.com/ (Penticton Pedestrian: photos, articles, poems).
- http://www.pentictonartscouncil.com/penticton/art/council/466-Norma%2BHill (my page on the Penticton Arts Council site)
- normajhill.blogspot.ca (my church journey: spirituality)
- http://penandpapermama2.com/ (Conversations, Reflections & Meditations: The Life Connection article series; Creative Writing (A to Z Challenge; Hillbilly Hilarity; Miracle Stories; Poetry; Bits and Pieces); Education and Homeschool articles; Family; Prayers and Meditations; blog).
My past sites, still available to view:
- http://blogbasics4totalbeginners.wordpress.com/ (blog basics 4 total beginners: site created to help PWAP members and others create their own websites/blogs)
- http://penandpapermama.wordpress.com (Creative Non-Fiction – The Hill Gang: family stories)
- flickr.com/photos/chinnielionel/ (photos taken by me)
- http://www.anotherchanceokanagan.com/ (site created for Another Chance Okanagan society)
Sites I have helped others with:
- http://www.mystorybasket.ca/ (Gary Bazan author site).
- https://sandylatka.com/ (Sandy Latka author site).
- https://annebartonandcarolyndale.wordpress.com/ (Anne Barton/Carolyn Dale author site).
- https://bonesbrainwaves.wordpress.com/ (Sonni Bone author site).
My Other Published Writing:
- Southern Exposure (Summerland Stories and other articles published in the PWAP Writers column).
- Letters to the Editor, several of which have been “featured” letters.
- “Masset Sounds” weekly community news and views column in Queen Charlotte Islands Observer: 1996-98, 1992-94, 1981-83.
Newsletters and Magazines:
- “The Penticton Scribe” quarterly newsletter of Penticton Writers and Publishers – July 2010 to July 2015 (21 issues). Publisher; edited submitted works; wrote all other articles and a number of stories and poems.
- Working Writer Newsletter: articles: “World Creation” (Jan/Feb 2018), “Using Real Names in Memoirs” (Jan/Feb 2019), “Punctuation Humor” (July/Aug 2018), “Finding the Editor You May Need” (May/June 2018), “Flash Fiction and Other Quick Writing” (Nov/Dec 2017), “Author Website or Blog or Combination?” (Sept/Oct 2018)
- Local history stories published in Archivos magazine (Okanagan Archive Trust Society) Summerland Stories series: “Mott Family Memories” (Fall 2016), “Summerland’s Rotary Beach” (Spring 2016), “Quilting Bees” (Winter 2016), “Giant’s Head Memories” (Spring 2017), “Afternoon Tea with the Misses Banks” (Fall 2017), “Community Canning” (Spring 2018), “Childhood Playtimes” (Fall/Winter 2018)
- “The Life Connection” newsletter of the Penticton Abundant Life Christian Fellowship Church, 2007-2008. Distributed to Canadian and US churches. Wrote feature articles for several editions; also edited some editions. Copies posted on http://penandpapermama2.com/life/lifemn.html
- “The Home Educator” newsletter for home school families. Copies of some editions posted on http://penandpapermama2.com/edu/edumn.html
- Educational articles published in various Home School magazines and on websites, national and international (including foreign language translations); also in BC Teacher Magazine.
- “Log Cabin Above Penticton” (poem) in Voices from the Valleys anthology (comp. Jodie Renner), 2015.
- “Quirky,” “Two Friends In Love,” “Wharf” (poems) in Okanagan Tapestry: Stories Poems Images from Okanagan Authors and Artists anthology, 2015.
- “Grammar Nazi” (editor’s story) in Gems of Canadian Young Writers 2015 anthology.
- “Publishing Options For Successful Writers” (editor’s article) in Gems 2016 Stories, Poems, Art & Graphic Tales anthology.
Self-Published Books and Booklets:
- No-Fail, Speedy, Everyday Ingredients, Yummy Recipes and Handy Kitchen Reference Guide (now in 3rd revised edition); also very involved in the writing and publishing of A Cookbook With A Difference: Good Food, Memories, Drawings from G.M. Dawson Secondary School, 1998.
- “Easy to Learn “ booklet series: titles include: Addition Facts, Subtraction Facts, Higher Decade Addition and Subtraction, Multiplication Facts, Division Facts, Arithmetic Tips and Tricks, Improve Handwriting and Stop Reversals, Memory and Learning Strategies (Part 1: Overview and General Tips; Part 2: Specific Tips and Tricks; Part 3: In the Classroom), Creative and Fun Book Reports Alternatives, Homonyms (Part 1: A-L; Part 2: M-Z), Reading and Writing Activities (Part 1: All Kinds of Reading and Writing; Part 2: Activities), Tongue Twisters. 2011-2012
- “Learning Themes” series: Songs and Poems Literacy Theme; Frog and Toad; Amelia Bedelia; Dr. Seuss; Winnie The Pooh; Three Little Pigs; Fairy Tale Princes and Princesses; Curious George; Nursery Rhymes (2014-2015)
- Chapbooks (photos, poems, stories, articles): Penticton Pedestrian; Haida Gwaii Reflections and Memories From The Misty Isles At the Edge of the World (2012)
- Cookbook, booklets, learning themes, and chapbooks above available in hard copy from the author, or as downloads from http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Norma-J-Hill
Other Writing Activities:
- “Grace” Christmas play – performed at Penticton Alliance Church Christmas 2010 (2009)
- “A Haida Christmas” play – performed at Old Massett Anglican Church; script requested by other groups for performances at their venues.
- NaNoWriMo: National Novel Writing Month challenge, completed 4 times: historical fiction account of female Biblical characters; story of a woman with dementia; “creative non-fiction” family memoir; nonfiction book of editing combined with fictional stories (NaNo 2018)
Employment Experience Involving Writing:
- Tutor, Pen and Paper Mama Services: English/Language arts; writing skills; elementary/middle school math; ESL (children and adults); special needs (autism, biopolar, severe learning disabilities, apraxia of speech, etc.); home school students; college student writing skills; SAT/GED prep. http://penandpapermama.com/
- Editor, Pen and Paper Mama Services: novels (children’s, young adults, adult), technical writing, short stories, poetry, anthologies, articles, curriculum, manuals, etc. https://normajhill.com/
- Teacher: G.M. Dawson Secondary School, Masset, B.C. (Teacher-Librarian, Social Studies, English, Home Economics); Penticton Christian School (Core French gr. 1-11; Home Economics); Teacher-On-Call in Haida Gwaii and Mission school districts (elementary & secondary, most subject areas); curriculum writing, for my own classes, and for other teachers and educational projects.
- Freelance reporter, 1985, for CBC Radio Prince Rupert, covering the BC Native Brotherhood Convention in Old Massett, Haida Gwaii.
- CBC Western Arctic (Inuvik NWT) – confidential secretary; opportunities to work in the newsroom, do reporting of community events, transliteration of English language stories for use by native language broadcasters (Loucheux, Slavey, Inuvialuktun); creation of station handbooks; wrote station 5 year plan; organize brochure and map for True North Concert. 1983-1985
- Office Manager, Abundant Life Christian Fellowship, Penticton; 2009-10.
- Norma’s One-Stop Shop: secretarial services; creation of business plans for small businesses (which then received government funding); bookkeeping for small businesses; 1993-2001.
- I have edited a wide variety of materials for individuals, organizations, and a publishing company. These include children’s books, novels, non-fiction, technical, anthologies, plays and screenplays, and more. For a full list of edited materials, see:
- I have also
- “Meet the Editor” workshop presentation at BC Youth Writers Camp, July 2013 and July 2015
- Editing and Revising workshops (for 5 age levels) at BC Youth Writers Camp, July 2014
- For list of edited materials, see “Norma Hill editing” handout
- Workshop presentations for the Penticton Writers And Publishers group: Creating an Author’s Website Using WordPress; How To Do A Successful Book Launch and Reading Event; Writing for Greeting Cards Publishers; Blogging Workshop.
- Workshop presentations at BC Youth Writers Camps: “Meet the Editor” workshops 2013 and 2015; Youth Writers Camp editing workshops for 5 age groups 2014.
- Workshop presentations to various Okanagan Valley writers’ groups: Platform and Brand; Christian Writers and the Business of Writing; Online Writing Workshop; Self-Editing Tips and Working with an Editor; Why a Blog and/or Website and Social Media are Important for Writers; Self-Editing Tips and Tricks.
- STEPS: Creative Writing Workshops for Youth at the Shatford Centre, Penticton BC (Flash Fiction; Humour and Poetry; Art and Writing; Mapping and Creating Worlds; Characterization). Details on these workshops can be found at: https://normajhill.com/workshops/
- Workshops for Parent-Tutors and Homeschoolers: Why Children Need Parent-Tutors; Introduction to Hiring a Tutor. Details on these workshops can be found at: http://penandpapermama.com/workshops/
Social Media Connections (current):
- FaceBook pages:
- Personal page: https://www.facebook.com/norma.j.hill.penandpapermama
- Business page: https://www.facebook.com/penandpapermama/
- Okanagan-South Writers’ League (OWL) group page (admin): https://www.facebook.com/groups/519953788213898/
- STEPS Creative Writing For Youth group page (admin): https://www.facebook.com/groups/1216336771813453/
- Okanagan Valley Writers’ Festival group page (admin): https://www.facebook.com/OKWritersFest01/
- BC Youth Writers Camp page (admin): https://www.facebook.com/groups/403376819775902/
- Okanagan Archive Trust Society (OATS) Photos and History group page (admin): https://www.facebook.com/groups/101198544020752/
- BC Writers, Authors and Editors group page (new admin): https://www.facebook.com/groups/1518194541798581/
- I have also been admin in the past for writers and editors groups (no longer active) such as Penticton Writers and Publishers (PWAP) and Penticton Editors Collaborative. I also am admin for some personal interest groups.
- Google + https://plus.google.com/u/0/116079161638308911986
- Linked In https://www.linkedin.com/in/norma-j-hill-95619868/
- Twitter https://twitter.com/normajhill (@normajhill)
- OWL: Okanagan-South Writers’ League — co-director and communications director — This group is the new format of the previous Penticton writers’ group (PWAP): see info below. The OWL group Facebook page is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/519953788213898/
- OWL-CNF: OWL Creative Non-Fiction Writers’ group, Penticton (participant)
- OWL Feedback For Writers group, Penticton (participant)
- Okanagan Archive Trust Society: board of directors; assistant editor, writer, donate pictures, written materials, etc. to be used in the quarterly magazine and on the website. http://www.archivos.ca/
- Penticton Arts Council: member. Website: http://www.pentictonartscouncil.com/penticton/art/council/575
- BCHEA (British Columbia Home Educators Association): Board of Directors (currently on leave as of 2018); Email Communications; Writing for website: http://bchea.ca/
- Okanagan Valley Writer’s Festival: assistant to the director; in charge of the OVWF Facebook page. 2016, 2017, 2018. Website: https://okanaganvalleywritersfestival.com/
Other Writing-related Organizations (recent past):
- Raise A Reader (RAR): Raise a Reader fundraiser day; school visits with authors; Christmas Gingerbread House contest; Hallowe’en Books for Treats; Literacy Day; BC Youth Writers Camp.
- Penticton Writers and Publishers (PWAP) (now OWL: see above) – Communications Director (facebook page, newsletter, egroup, email lists; articles submitted to newsletters of other local organizations such as PDCAC; write monthly meeting notes); participate in monthly writing challenges; publisher/editor of quarterly newsletter; write several articles and do a fair amount of coding/design for the website; Communications Director (facebook page, newsletter, egroup, email lists; articles submitted to newsletters of other local organizations such as PDCAC; monthly meeting notes); conduct workshops on creating author’s blogs and/or websites, editing, etc. (Note: as of June 2016, PWAP disbanded as a society; however, I am a co-founder of a new Penticton writer’s group OWL — see above).
- Women’s “Group of Seven” writing group, Penticton. Met bi-weekly for writing practice and critiquing.
- Okanagan Editors Group (OEG: Met monthly to discuss editing, and to learn from experienced editors.
- Penticton Editors Collaborative: Meet weekly to discuss editing, learn from each other, share job opportunities, and reach out to writers and businesses.
- Another Chance Okanagan/God’s Kitchen: outreach to street-level persons and families in poverty. Besides food, clothing, hair-cuts, and similar provisions, I created a website to describe the group’s activities.
Other Writing-related Experiences:
- Home-schooled my own 5 children (grades 1 to 11) for some years; wrote curriculum; taught writing skills, etc. Also very active in a number of online home school e-groups, and wrote many articles, shared advice, and so on.
- Created and wrote Bible studies: Spiritual Disciplines (used by a local church and a local women’s Bible Study group); Submission Study (used by local group, and copies requested by various groups internationally).
- Coordinator/leader for various children’s clubs and organizations (Girl Guides, Scouts, Pioneer Girls, etc., and also for school clubs and groups such as School Planning Councils and Parent Advisory Committees.
- One to One Reading volunteer in Penticton and Keremeos; coordinator in Keremeos 2000-2003.
- Sponsor of School Clubs (ie newspaper club, library club) and organizer of school events (ie Young Women’s Conference) in Masset, Haida Gwaii.
- Executive member of Queen Charlotte District Teachers Association.
- TV announcer for Lions Club Mini-Timmy-Telethon, Masset BC.
- Taught free seminars on budgeting and cooking, for women’s groups, including transition houses; created handbooks for participants.
- Extensive involvement in First Nations activities: First Nations school programs (Haida, Coast Salish); cultural events (Haida, Coast Salish, Lower Similkameen band); tutor for Old Massett homework support program; developed Haida First Nation local history collection; created curriculum for Foods and Nutrition program emphasizing traditional foods; supported new Haida language teachers in developing lesson plans, projects, etc.; involved in Haida language, dance, educational, and cultural activities.
- At my grade 12 graduation from Rutland Senior Secondary School, I received the top English 12, English Literature 12, and History 12 marks. I also received the Provincial scholarship award for results in History 12 and English Literature 12 scholarship exams. And I received scholarships throughout college (OC) and university (UBC).
- I was a reporter for the Okanagan College campus newspaper when a student there.